Sunday, May 15, 2005

Chapter Eight - Bones


Purring and a cold nose woke me the next day. I opened my eyes and was looking into the greenest eyes ever. Spot was purring a storm and leaned in to rub my face again with his. After stretching and yawning myself awake I reached over and gave him the scratching behind his ears he was looking for. "Thank you my friend for controlling yourself last night. If that man is a real Wizard it could have spelled real trouble for both of us." Sitting up and pulling him into my lap, I scratched and rubbed him some more reflecting on the events of the previous evening.

Thinking out loud, I said, "I wonder what he showed Nepharious? It couldn't have been anything good the way he stalked off like that. I still don't think he is a real wizard, but I am not going to take any chances." It was then that I noticed Bones was still gone. Pulling Spot up to look in his face and plant a kiss on his nose, I asked. "And just where is your counter part, dear one?"

"Not sure Mistress. He said he had something to take care of and he would be back soon. He does this sometimes, but never tells me where he is going." Spot reached out with a pink, scratchy tongue and licked my nose back. It tickled and I giggled.

Putting him down and jumping up I headed towards the storerooms. "I don't know about you, but I am starving. Hungry?" I asked as I walked away.

"I could eat a big hairy dog Mistress!" he replied to my back. "Two of them! Yep! Two of them!"

"My, my! That is hungry! Sure you have room for two?" I laughingly replied as I gathered up food to break our fast with. "I have enough here for that!"

I had barely gotten the words out of my mouth when I heard a blood-curdling yowl coming from the front of the cave. Dropping everything I ran to see what it was. There was Bones lying in the entrance with pieces of fur missing, blood covering what fur was left and barely breathing. Spot had made the noise and was standing over him with his back arched and all of his hair standing straight up.

I rushed over to them and reaching down I checked to see if there were any broken bones. Spot moved aside, but was not far from his best friend. "Oh no" I exclaimed. "What could have done this? Lets get him inside so I can check him better." And with that I picked him up gently and walked back into the cave and to the table in the lab. Spot followed on my heels after checking outside for more danger. I laid Bones on a soft fur I had picked up on the way. Spot jumped up on the table and sat next to him. He started washing the blood off Bones face while I checked again for broken bones.

"He doesn't have anything broken, but it looks like he got in a big fight with something. There are puncture wounds on his back and neck. They have stopped bleeding but not sure how much blood was let before he made it home." I said with trepidation.

"He ith sthrong Misthresssss." Spot said while trying to spit out some loose fur his tongue had raked off Bones' neck.

"I know he is Spot and I am sure he will be ok, but we will need to keep a close eye on him until he recovers." And with that I pulled another piece of fur over for Spot to lay on while I went to get some clean water in a bowl. Dipping my fingers in the bowl, I reached over and let the droplets fall into his mouth and onto his tongue. Bones came around long enough to pull in the water I was giving him and he fell back asleep just as quickly. I picked up a soft piece of leather and dipped it in the bowl. Using it I helped Spot finish cleaning up the blood from Bones' fur. While we worked I asked Spot how he knew Bones was in the entrance.

"I just knew Mistress. A bad feeling came over me while you were talking and something told me to get up and go look. I had no idea I would find Bones like this though!" he replied looking up at me with his eyes all big, round and sad looking. "He has always been there for me. You sure he will be ok?" he asked again.

"Yes, I am sure. Nothing is broken and he is breathing shallow but steady. I saw his feet twitching so there is no paralysis. I think he just needs time to recover from his wounds. You and your feeling may have saved him Spot. There is no telling how long he might have lain there before we found him. Now you watch him and I will go get that food I almost dropped on the floor. We are both going to need our strength while waiting this out."

"But I am not hungry anymore Mistress! I can't eat while he lays there like this!" Spot lamented.

"Do you think he would want you to starve? No he wouldn't and neither do I, so you will eat something understand?" I said sternly on my way back with the food.

Placing it on the table and leaving one more time to get a goblet and a dish for me and spot to drink from we settled in for another long day and night. Spot stirred once or twice long enough to take more water. I poured over father's manuscripts again, brushing up on my healing memories I had inherited from him. About mid-night or so I concocted a small herbal remedy that would help in the healing process and give him strength. I added just a touch of Mead to it to give it substance. I knew the alcohol would warm his body from the inside out and it seemed to help. Once I felt comfortable enough to do so, I laid my head down on the table and rested my eyes.

A faint purring woke me from my slumber and I looked up to see Bones with his head raised drinking from the dish of water I had given Spot. He was purring and still looked a bit weaker than I had hoped, but at least he was purring. With cats that is always a good sign! Spot was busy grooming him again and was looking quite happier than the night before. I reached for a piece of fish and placed it in front of Bones. He picked at it and then drank some more water.

Looking at him I said, "When you are up to it, Bones dear, I will need to know what happened to you. We have quite a lot to tell you as well!"

"Yes, Mistress." He croaked out and reached again for more water. "I have much to tell you. I can tell you are still worn out. Please go to your bed. I will be fine here with Spot. We can talk soon enough when you awake." And with that he purred, and rolled over to let Spot wash the other side.

I pulled another clean piece of fur over, plumped it up and transferred him to it. I took the other one to dispose of it and headed to my bed. On the way I called over my shoulder to Spot. "Wake me if you need to Spot."

"Yeth, Mithtreth" was all he could get out while he washed.

"Take care of him Spot" I replied, more to myself than him.

My answer was louder purring... from both of them. My last thoughts before falling asleep were about how lucky I was to have the two of them back safe and sound in the cave with me.


No comments: